News about my genealogy websites.
By Rod Dav4is
Links from the Annex back to the ODT
I have just completed the software changes that will change all future uploads to the Annex. Specifically, the reference number of each individual will be a link to than individual's place in the appropriate Outline Descent Tree.
There are some flaws. Not all individuals in an Annex file are represented in an ODT. The most common example is parents of spouses, displayed in an ODT as Father: and Mother:, but not on their own. In these cases, the link will take you to the top of the ODT.
Ancestry.com wants me to upgrade to Family & Local Histories
Why I resist upgrading: (despite $40 discount from $80)
- These are images, not text. And their image viewer really sucks.
- It only works with MSIE
- You have to enable it every time you use the facility
- It won't navigate from one find to the next.
- It overlaps another of their resources (GenLib) to which I already have a subscription. (e.g. The Quaker Ogdens in America is in both. This overlap is not mentioned, leading one to believe that this represents a wholly new collection.
- Dishonest statement of publication dates in their index of the contents and when showing hits on searches. E.g. Hawley's Annals of Brookfield is stated as having a publication date of 1987, when it was actually published in 1929. It may have been reprinted in 1987, but it is still the 1929 work with no additions or corrections. To state it as a 1987 work is designed to make it appear as a modern work, when it is not.
This sort of sharp merchandising is typical of the Ancestry/FTM/MyFamily conglomerate. -R.